Dear Parents and Guardians,
As you know, Level 5 Covid restrictions have once again been put in place for the entire country with the children in mainstream classes in schools asked to undertake remote learning.
This is not an ideal scenario for anyone in the school community particularly the children and we will all be glad to get back to traditional school sooner rather than later.
At the time of the first lockdown, schools were unable to distribute books and resources to families until the end of May which caused huge difficulties. Thankfully, this time, the government has confirmed that we can facilitate the collection of learning materials to support remote learning. As a result, this will happen on Monday 11th January 2021 on the school campus.
You will find a timetable and guideline for collections attached to this email and a facility for the collection of multiple siblings books at the same time.
Getting the books and resources to children and parents is our priority for Monday and this will take the staff time to organise over the next few days. Therefore, once the materials have been collected on Monday, we will be in a position to commence remote learning in earnest on Tuesday 12th January.
Over the next few days, we will be organising Google Classroom and ensuring all children and parents have access to it for next week as well as planning content for new learning from home. If you are not signed up to Google Classroom or have lost access codes etc. we will resolve these issues over the next few days.
Further information and guidance will follow over the next few days and although we had prepared for this eventuality earlier in the year, we only received the same information everyone else received, at the government’s television briefing on Wednesday evening. We understand that this is a very difficult and disruptive time for children and parents and we are going to mobilise things as quickly as we can and communicate this to you as soon as possible.
At the moment, we felt the priority was to notify you about book collection so you had as much time as possible to organise yourselves.
Thank you for your support and patience.
Guidelines for collection of school books, 11th January 2021
|9:30 – 10:00||Junior Infants: Hannah & Shauna||The pathway outside of the main entrance door of the school.|
|9:30 – 10:00||Senior Infants: Paul, Ciara & Darragh||The pathway outside of the side entrance door of the school beside Little Stars|
|10:00 – 10:30||1st Class: Bríd, Mallorie & Elaine||The pathway outside of the main entrance door of the school.|
|10:00 – 10:30||2nd Class: Shona, Kathryn & Naomi||The pathway outside of the side entrance door of the school beside Little Stars|
|10:30 – 11:00||3rd Class: Shane, Louise / Eoin & Niamh C||The pathway outside of the main entrance door of the school.|
|10:30 – 11:00||4th Class: Jodie, Jean & Seán||The pathway outside of the side entrance door of the school beside Little Stars|
|11:00 – 11:30||5th Class: Karen, Denis & Francis||The pathway outside of the main entrance door of the school.|
|11:00 – 11:30||6th Class: Baetán, Gerry & Seamus||The pathway outside of the side entrance door of the school beside Little Stars|
Unlike the last school closure, the government have given us to go ahead to issue children and parents with school books and resources immediately. One of the huge challenges to remote learning the last time around was children and teachers could not work from physical materials and texts, which is not a concern this time around. The materials going home will be:
- Text books and workbooks
- Reading materials
A lot of the text books going home are part of our book rental scheme and we would ask that everyone looks after them so they can be returned in good condition for those likely to use them the following year.
Entrance & Exit to the campus
- Entrance through the pedestrian gate
- Exit through the vehicle gate next to the pedestrian entrance
General guidelines for everyone’s safety
- Only one family member (adult) per household should collect books. We need to keep the numbers entering the campus as small as possible.
- Please park off campus as the gates will not be accessible by vehicles.
- Please queue up keeping social distancing in mind and remain at least 2 metres between yourself and others at all times.
- Please stick to the timetable We will not be able to go in and out of the school at times outside of those listed to source books.
- Each child’s books will be placed in a bag with their name on it.
- If you have more than one child in the school, you can collect all of your children’s books from the youngest child’s teacher rather than come in and out of the school campus numerous times.
- If for some reason your child’s books are not available due to an unforeseen error, please let a member of staff know and we will try and sort it out. You can wait at a designated area until a staff member looks into things.
- For safety reasons, teachers will not be available for informal meetings of any kind. If you need to contact a teacher for a discussion please do so through the schools email address as usual.
- Staff will be there to move queues along and direct people to exits. Please respect the task they have to do, follow their instructions, keep a distance of 2 metres from them and engagement to a minimum.
- We ask that people do not socialise or gather in groups for discussions on campus. We need to keep things moving so everyone can collect books in as safe a manner as possible.
- Do not come to the school campus if you have any symptoms of Covid-19